A red cloak, a voyage through the woods, and a conniving wolf.
These are the elements of one of the most famous fairy tales of all time, Little Red Riding Hood. The earliest variations and versions of this fairy tale can be traced to the pre-17th century throughout various regions. Charles Perrault is the author of one of the earliest printed editions, and folklore scholar Maria Tartar says he added the detail of a red cloak to the story. The Brothers Grimm published their own version, Little Red Cap. Even Andrew Lang took on the tale with The True History of Little Golden Hood. Now we want to hear your version of this beloved fairy tale.
For this writing competition, we want you to retell Little Red Riding Hood. You can tell it in any genre or style with any setting. Just include the core elements of the story: a figure with a cloak, a Big Bad Wolf figure, and a journey. You may want to read through some of the linked tales for inspiration.
Submitted entries must be a minimum of 300 words and no more than 5,000 words. Please write the title of your story in sentence case: Once Upon a Time, and not like ONCE UPON A TIME.
The competition runs from April 26, 2019 to June 7, 2019. Winners will be announced within 5 days of competition’s end.
The Winner receives:
- Active promotion across all Fairytalez’s social networks
- A digital winner badge published with your story and on your profile page
- A digital winner badge for your blog or website
- A $200 gift certificate to Amazon.com
The Four finalists will receive:
- Active promotion across all of Fairytalez’s social networks
- A digital runner-up badge published with your story and on your profile page
- A digital runner-up badge for your blog or website
How to Get Started with Fairytalez Writing Competitions
- Register: First, create a profile at Fairytalez.com. Don’t forget to customize it with images, website links and more. There are no fees associated with creating an account nor is there a fee to enter the competitions.
- Upload: Upload your story and put it in the appropriate category.
- Submit: Submit your story (or stories) below for consideration in the writing competition. Stories must be a minimum of 300 words and a maximum of 5000 words. You may submit up to 3 stories.
- Share: Share your story link with all of your friends and family! Stories are eligible once they’ve received 5 likes.
Find even more fairy tales when you read about our previous writing competitions.
Enter the Competition
Submit your story, once uploaded, here. Paste the story URL in the box below.
Entries in Competition
- Red is the Color of Mischief , Skylar Daniels
- The Apple Boy , Admir Ninta
- Predator and Prey , Lewis Freer
- Covered In Red , Skylar Daniels
- High Fashion, Little Red , Shannon Jade
- Nice Girls Walk With Wolves , S. E. Rickards
- The wolf , the woodcutter, granny and the red riding hood , Jackie Hosking
- Red in the 'Hood , Jaz Stutley